Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Jackson Boyd Obie arrives

So the little(or not so little!) addition is finally here. I actually was just finishing the last post when I was told that she was fully dilated and ready to push. I finished up the post and ran back to the room and she started pushing with our nurse Wanda(thank you very much Wanda - you get highest marks across the board from us). Jeff showed up a short while later and within about 30 minutes of pushing Jackson was here at 8 lbs 11oz! Wow! Laura was pretty comfortable throughout the entire process after the second epidural and her pushing was stellar. The nurse in mother baby actually told me it should be illegal to be able to have a first baby after only 30 minutes of pushing, but it happened. What can I say, Laura is a rock star.





Also infinite thanks to Jeff for making this such a smooth and wonderful experience for all of us. We appreciate his friendship and expertise and he made this an even more unbelievable experience than we could have imagined. We were probably catered to much more than we should have been, but we're not complaining, and again thanks everyone. Laura thinks that Jacksons red hair also reminds her of grandpa and I'm glad that she thinks so because I kind of think so too.

So his name is Jackson and has been for quite awhile. We really did not know any Jackson's when we made this decision but now it seems like every baby we meet is named Jack or Jackson(a bit of an overexaggeration, we know 3 Jacksons and 1 Jack and 1 Jak, but it still seems like a lot). We both have liked the name Jack and thought it was short and simple and classic but we also thoguht that Jackson made it somewhat more unique(I believe Jack was the 7th most popular name of 2006 and Jackson was 17th). Also Anne's dad's name was Jack or Big Jack. The name Jackson also has some music connections which I thought were interesting with Johnny Cash's "I'm Going to Jackson", Jackson Browne, and the Jacksons(although we are not trying to make any links to this last reference). As for famous Jacksons, I think Jackson Browne and Jackson Pollack are probably the two that come to mind first. Pollack I believe is a painter that threw paint at the wall for abstract art. I figure this comparison may work too, but I'll need to let you know when he starts eating and then peas and carrots start flying. Laura thinks she will call him both Jack and Jackson, I think I'm sticking with Jackson for now.


His middle name has been Boyd for just as long. Boyd also has one main reasoning but another that is also very important to us. Boyd is the combination of our fathers names with Bob and Lloyd making Boyd. But it also works out that some of our best friends last name is Boyd(Hello Keith and Sarah, and for the rest of you, you can link to their baby's website from ours on the side). It seemed to be a perfect fit all around.


As I finish this Jackson is laying on his mother's chest asleep and getting ready for his next feeding at 7PM. We'll keep you all posted.

Congratulations to all of the new aunts, uncles and grandparents and great grandparents out there today.




6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I am so happy to see the first great grandchild is a beautiful, healthy, baby boy. I know Nana is ecstatic. I can't wait to meet him. Talk to you soon!
    Love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:45 AM

    Great pictures, Eric. Laura,you did such an awesome job. I am so proud of both of you. Can't wait to get little Jackson home to meet his other brothers...they miss you.
    Love,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you Jennifer and Jake. Yes we see that Nana is thrilled and we are glad to be able to give her her first great grandson.
    Love Laura, Eric and Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Katherine, Jackson has already voiced his interest in Fenway, Brewser and Speedy. He's excited to meet all of them too.
    Love E+L+J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Obies! We are SO happy for you and wish we could be there to share in the excitement. We LOVE Jackson Boyd Obie's name too, of course. Enjoy this special time and keep us updated when you get a free minute (ha ha ) :)
    Love, Sarah, Keith, and Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:58 PM

    Congratulations We are so happy for both of you. The baby pictures are precious. I know you are both happy and very proud. Eric I know your parents are thrilled as I talk to them last
    night.
    Love Aunt Lorraine, Uncle Dick, and Memere

    ReplyDelete