Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Once upon a farm

Once upon a farm in the Easternmost stretches of Virginia, a family called Obie took a Thanksgiving week trek. We saw many creatures and had up close and personal interactions with some, but the second youngest Obie said, "Let's not go to that farm again, its too far." I'm pretty sure Mommy Obie echoed Jackson's sentiments, but then again, who gives away the end of the story at the beginning. Please disregard the above statements, and onto the farm. This fella looks beautiful in the picture but in real life it was an entirely different story. Nervous? Whoever came up with the saying "running around like a chicken with its head chopped off" clearly never saw a turkey 2 days before Thanksgiving. And it would have been worse but I saw the farmers putting xanax in the turkey feed.
Further into the farm Jackson began his animal explorations. He had to touch most of them...
...and feed any that would give him the time of day. He was especially fond of the sheep and he would have stayed with them the entire day if given the chance. After awhile he had them lined up.
And when the word got out that a little redheaded boy was feeding all of the animals, well lets just say that this piqued the interest of a few other inhabitants.
Now the littlest Obie was a lot more cautious. She showed interst in these docile beasts but still wanted to be careful. While her brother was taming them and giving them dinner, she was watching closely.
Mommy Obie tried to teach Harper to feed the animals, but she was still quite unsure.
When she tried to feed the goat she got 3 feet away, dropped the hay and went in the other direction. Maybe legally changing her middle name to "Caution" is warranted.
I am glad we did not run to the city building to change her name though. She finally came around and fed this nice donkey multiple times, even getting a pat in here or there. Harper June it will stay.
By the time we were ready to leave I noticed the turkeys seemed much calmer and from their repetitive clucking to each other I guessed they were in cahoots. Now I know that turkeys and large brain size are not statements in the same sentence very often, but I'm beginning to wonder if we may have underestimated them...

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:51 PM

    What a great trip into the great unknown parts of VA. I know how much the kids love all the animals. Thanks for the pictures.
    Gran

    ReplyDelete